Bio Electricity refers to designing or sanitizing an electrical installation to minimize electrical, magnetic and microwave fields. Indeed the smallest device, as soon as it is connected, releases various types of waves whose long-term effects on the health can be negative.
The different kinds of wave fields
- Electric fields: released by all drivers and devices powered (so we speak of Volts here), their strength decreases depending on distance and are blocked or weakened through the walls, trees or even human tissue.
- Magnetic fields: emanating from all conductors and devices crossed by a current (we speak here, Amps), their strength decreases as a function of distance. However, they pass through most materials including buildings, trees or human tissue.
- Microwave: issued by wireless communication systems (hi-fi, mobile phone, cordless telephone, alarms, microwave, GSM telephone network), some of them have the distinction of being able to travel very long distances almost without losing strength (use for satellite communications).
- For example, fields that run through a single socket positioned near your bed may, over time, have a negative impact on your health.
What are the consequences for health?
Several medical studies on exposure for a long time to these different waves show the following problems: nervousness, sleep disorders, skin problems, blood diseases (blood cancers and lymphomas) …
However, it seems necessary to recall that no government has asked for independent official studies on these waves, so the results announced above can not be considered certified.
What to do ?
Devices to guard against these different kinds of waves are starting to hit the market. It is, however, recommended to call on a qualified professional who is familiar with the field of bio electricity for the installation.
Bio Electricity a building
It’s a fact, the adequacy between the building and its occupants becomes, today, an essential parameter taken in account at different moments during the life cycle of the “tertiary buildings” (such as offices, hospitals, schools, nurseries…). For example, regarding health, the air quality is today the object of very intensive surveys, at European level, to try to understand which are the pollutants the more pernicious for humans, and which are the critical thresholds not to be exceeded. Some results will have an impact soon on renewal air systems and on the different sensors to implement.
Another concern nowadays in France is buildings accessibility for persons with reduced mobility, that induce the development of specific adjustments on structure work, technical or electrical lots. From that perspective, electrical installations with low electromagnetic radiation are in line with the expectations of a part of the market.
How to reduce radiations?
Before addressing the market, it is useful to understand which impact the reduction of electromagnetic radiation can have on electrical distribution installations (power and control).
First all it is useful to distinguish electrical and magnetic radiations:
- The electric field is controlled with the addition of an armored-plating with the aid of metal or metalized strip around the live wire. To be efficient, this armored-plating has to be connected to the earth at both ends of the cable to evacuate radiations. This principle is used to armor the computer data transmission cables.
- The magnetic field is meanwhile inhibited by twisting the phase wire or wires with the neutral wire.
- With those details, we can afford today that it exists 3 different technical solutions to reduce electromagnetic fields:
- The supply cable consists of wires (one or several phases) twisted and the whole is armored with metal or metalized strip linked to the ground.
- A sheath electric armored and linked to earth at both extremities has a pre-wiring of twisted wires.
At last, at the level of the electrical panel, a device named “automatic switch fields” put at the head of the circuit, delivers a low voltage of a few volts, able to detect the connection of an electrical charge. When the charge is detected, voltage is established normally to supply the load. Interest of the switch fields: (possibly bipolar): it can be integrated after the realization of the electrical installation, such as it is sufficient to place it in the distribution panel. Disadvantage: it is useless on a circuit on which are wired permanent loads and it does not protect people when loads are activated.
Keep updated with Positive Homes by following us on Facebook.